PD Warrior Is A Game-Changer In The Fight Against Parkinson's Disease.
PD Warrior is a unique therapy approach designed to help build confidence, improve mobility and help people fight the symptoms of Parkinson's. PD Warrior offers hope that there is life after diagnosis.
What Is PD Warrior And How Do I Start?
- PD Warrior starts with an initial assessment session with our physiotherapist. At the next session we start to teach the programme exercises and when clients are confident with the exercises they go on to the ten-week challenge either individually or as part of a group. If they choose to do this as a group, they can join the PD Warrior circuit class which runs weekly.
- The weekly group exercise programme combines high effort, intensive workouts with a challenging combination of movements and mental strategy. It's loads of fun and there's lots of variety to keep people engaged. Participants connect with like-minded people who want help to fight their symptoms.
Why Does PD Warrior Work?
PD Warrior helps to use the brain's natural ability to protect itself and create more efficient pathways in the brain, essentially rewiring the brain. Recent evidence has shown that exercise is essential in providing a comprehensive solution for patients with Parkinson's.
Better results are possible by treating people early after diagnosis with intensive, big-movement exercise strategies. Results from PD Warrior show an improvement in the quality of life and self-efficacy, depression, tiredness and bodily discomfort, compared to patients who take medication alone.
Val's PD Warrior Story
Val has been coming to PD Warrior since March 2014. The biggest impact Parkinson's Disease had on her was the little things in daily life – not being able to open jars and lids, not being able to put her earrings in and the slowness of her movements. Val's Parkinson's Disease diagnosis showed that 80% of her dopamine-producing cells had gone.
Yet after going through our PD Warrior programme, she has seen measurable progress with her symptoms and since:
- She's walked up Conical Hill
- She cleaned her car which she hadn't done in a long time,
- She can spend longer in the garden,
- She can put her earrings in her ears,
- And arguably the change that most people comment on is her voice – now Val's voice is stronger where it had become very quiet.
For Val, PD Warrior gives her hope.